Call for applications – Deadline June 6, 2016, 17:00hrs
United States Embassy in Dar es Salaam is accepting applications from Tanzanian journalists for the 2016 General Election Embed Program for Journalists. The program will be implemented by the Washington based International Center for Journalists (ICFJ) and will take place in the United States from October 26 to November 11, 2016.
Under this program foreign journalists will be assigned to work alongside their American counterparts in “battleground” states, to cover the last days of the presidential elections for their U.S. media hosts and their audiences back home. Before embarking on their reporting assignments, the foreign journalists will undergo a two-day orientation at ICFJ in Washington, D.C. aimed at deepening their knowledge of the U.S. electoral process and the watchdog role of the media.
After the election, the journalists will return to Washington, D.C., for a debrief and wrap up session in which they will be able to reflect on their experience and engage in discussions on how they can apply their news skills to their coverage back home. It should be here-by noted that this will not be a “Study tour” but a “WORKING TOUR.”
- Applications are invited from interested mid- career Tanzanian print, radio, TV, and Web-based journalists.
- Candidates should be able to speak English at a level that allows them to work in a professional manner in an American setting. Participants will be asked to contribute reporting and opinions to their U.S. host media organizations.
- Journalists specialized in reporting on politics, governance, democracy and human rights are encouraged to apply
Required documentation and references:
- Application Cover Letter
- An updated Curriculum Vitae
- One page justification essay/statement of purpose
- Letter of support from your media house signed by your Editor
- One page description of your media house/organization
- Letter from an independent referee
- Two samples of your most important journalistic work relevant to this program. (newspaper articles, audio or video clips).
Selection of successful candidates will be announced by July 1st 2016. Only selected candidates will be notified.
Send your application by email to: DPO@state.gov
Paper applications will not be accepted.
Applications must be submitted no later than June 6th, 2016 at 17.00 (East African Time).