A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is a formal document certifying the acquisition of United States citizenship at birth for a person born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). United States non-citizen nationals are also eligible for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, using the non-citizen option.
CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday. We recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth.
To apply, your child must have been born in Tanzania and you must travel to Dar es Salaam for the in-person interview.
To be eligible to apply for a CRBA online, you MUST answer all the following criteria with YES:
- Was the child born in Tanzania?
- Is the child under the age of 18?
- Was at least one parent a U.S. citizen or U.S. non-citizen national when the child was born?
- Can you use an internationally accepted credit/debit card or a direct payment method from a U.S. dollar denominated bank account (also known as “ACH”) to pay online for your CRBA application?
- Are you a biological parent of a child born abroad who is applying for that child?
If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you MUST apply by completing a paper application (DS-2029).
How to Apply
You can now apply for a CRBA electronically at Dar es Salaam. This new online feature allows U.S. citizen parents to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the in-person interview.
- To apply for a CRBA online, you need to create a MyTravelGov MyTravelGov is a secured, encrypted portal.
- Once you have created a MyTravelGov account you can access eCRBA and submit your application online. The easy-to-use online process provides applicants with step-by-step instructions on how to complete the application. You may review the necessary documents for the CRBA application in advance by reviewing this checklist
- Once you complete the online application and submit payment, you will receive a confirmation by e-mail. You must then schedule your appointment by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org CRBA appointments in Tanzania cannot be scheudled through MyTravelGov. Please request your appointment at least 72 hours after payment submission. This provides time for your payment to be processed prior to your CRBA interview. Please do not make another (or duplicate) payment for a CRBA ($100) at the Embassy.
- Attend you scheduled in-person interview with your originaldocuments and their photocopies (single-sided). Original documents will be returned to you after reviewing your application. You must provide English translations for all foreign language documents. The child must be present at the time of application. Generally, both parents also attend the interview.
We are here to help!
- You can access eCRBA 2.0 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) Here [LINK OR EMBED THE CUSTOMER FACING FAQS (LINKED ABOVE)]
- You can view an application how-to-guide [LINK OR EMBED THE eCRBA CUSTOMER APPLICATION HOW-TO GUIDE (LINKED ABOVE)]
- For questions or concerns please contact email@example.com
Other Important Information
Note: If you prefer to submit a paper-based application, please follow post procedures available here.
Passport applications and Social Security Card applications must be completed and submitted separately.
Please note that an application for a Social Security Number can only be submitted after receiving the original Consular Report of Birth Abroad and Passport.