Ask a COVID-19 Question
Last updated: 09/24/2020
- The Department of State’s current travel advisory level for Tanzania is Level 3 – Reconsider Travel.
- The Tanzanian government has not released aggregate numbers on COVID-19 cases or deaths since April 29. Consequently, we are unable to provide specific guidance for U.S. citizens in Tanzania.
- Given the presumed ongoing community transmission in Dar es Salaam and other locations in Tanzania, the risk of contracting COVID-19 remains high. The Embassy has recommended that U.S. government personnel and their families reduce movement outside of their home except for essential activities and limit the number of visitors entering their home.
- Healthcare facilities in Tanzania can become quickly overwhelmed in a healthcare crisis. There have been instances during the COVID-19 outbreak when hospitals in Dar es Salaam reached full capacity due to the high volume COVID-19 cases. Limited hospital capacity throughout Tanzania could result in life-threatening delays for emergency medical care.
Entry and Exit Requirements:
- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
- All travelers whether foreigners or returning residents whose countries or airlines require them to provide negative testing for COVID-19 as a condition for traveling will be required to present a certificate on arrival. Travelers from other countries with symptoms and signs related to COVID-19 infection will undergo enhanced screening and may be tested on arrival.
- Passengers should fill in Health Surveillance Form in the plane, or any other transport means and submit them to Port Health authorities upon arrival.
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? See Above
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes
- Contact the local immigration office for visa extensions.
- Is a curfew in place? No
- Are there restrictions on intercity or interstate travel? No
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? No
- The embassy does not have information on the types or availability of testing in Tanzania – please inquire directly with a medical provider.
- Are commercial flights operating? Yes
- Is public transportation operating? Yes
Fines for Non-Compliance: (if applicable)
- Emergency American citizen services are available by appointment.
- Routine visa services are suspended