This program is currently closed for applications. For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Fulbright Foreign Student Program is the largest Fulbright program with Africa and provides financial assistance for a maximum of two years of study toward a graduate degree in a U.S. university or for participation in a non-degree research or nonacademic professional program. It is designed primarily to strengthen African universities through higher degree training for faculty members. Applications are also accepted from prospective candidates in public and private educational and cultural institutions, independent research institutes, and professional institutions.
Applications must be submitted using the Embark Visiting Scholar system, accessible at https://iie.embark.com/apply/ffsp. The submission deadline for applications is April 1, 2018. For more information please email email@example.com.
The Fulbright Foreign Student Program is open to any qualified candidate but strongly encourages the inclusion of female candidates and prefers candidates who have not had extensive recent experience in the United States. Recent (within three years) recipients of Fulbright grants are not eligible to apply, and it should be emphasized that funding is for a maximum period of two years only. It is important to note that doctoral degree candidates will typically need to secure additional funding to complete their course of study and we now prioritize the selection of Fulbright Master’s candidates over Ph.D. candidates.
- Applicants must be citizens of Tanzania or permanent residents qualified to hold a valid passport issued by Tanzania.
- Applicants must have a record of outstanding academic achievement and preparation in their chosen field of study. They must show high motivation and serious commitment to completing the program and to returning home.
- Applicant must have at least the equivalent of four (4) years of university study or the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree.
- Applicants who wish to pursue study in a field other than their current field of study must demonstrate adequate background in that field.
- Applicant must meet the minimum scores on required standardized tests.
- Applicants must be affiliated with or committed to working at an academic institution or public or private institutions in Tanzania upon return, and should have the endorsement of their home institution.
- Applicants should have a high motivation and a serious commitment to completing the program as scheduled and to returning home.
- Applicants with no extensive or recent U.S. experience will be given preference.
- Applicants must have a sufficiently high level of English proficiency to enable them to complete a full-time program of graduate study in the United States.
- Employees staff (LES) employed by the State Department/United States Agency for International Development (USAID) are ineligible for grants during the period of their employment and for one year following the termination of employment.
In Tanzania, the Fulbright Foreign Student Program is administered by the U.S. Embassy’s Public Affairs Section, which nominates candidates to the Fulbright Scholarship Board in Washington, DC. The Fulbright Scholarship Board makes the final selection of candidates. In order for the Embassy to complete the nomination process before the deadline date for submission, we urge aspiring candidates to submit their applications to the Embassy by April 1, 2018; applications received after this date will not be considered.
Fulbright funding is for a maximum of TWO years of funding in a master’s degree or doctoral program. Students accepted to degree programs less than two years are eligible to only receive funding through the designated period of degree completion – as stipulated by the host institution. Master’s applicants are given placement priority. Ph.D. candidates who secure funding from outside sources will remain under Fulbright visa sponsorship rather than have sponsorship transferred to the host institution. Ph.D. candidates unable to secure funding for the additional years will return home without completing their degree.
All application forms must be prepared electronically, on-line application is preferred: hand-written applications will not be accepted. Candidates must submit completed application forms, academic transcripts, and three confidential letters of reference online. Please note that only those short-listed for final consideration will be called for a panel interview. Only finalists will be required to submit their medical history, supplemental forms and complete standardized English and Graduate Record Exam tests.