Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Dar es Salaam (March 23, 2022)
Event:COVID-19 Test Not Required for Fully Vaccinated Travelers to Tanzania
The Tanzania Ministry of Health announced that as of March 17, 2022, fully vaccinated travelers are exempt from COVID-19 test requirements for entry to Tanzania. Fully vaccinated travelers will be required to present a valid vaccination certificate with QR code for verification upon arrival.
Travelers who are unvaccinated or not fully vaccinated are required to present a negative COVID-19 test certificate with QR code upon arrival. The test must be a Real Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) test or Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) collected at a nationally accredited/approved laboratory, with the sample collected within 72 hours of departure to Tanzania. Travelers who are not fully vaccinated may also be required to take a Rapid Antigen Test upon arrival.
Children aged five years or younger are exempt from COVID-19 test and vaccination requirements.
You can find more detailed information on testing and vaccine requirements for entry to Tanzania on the U.S. Embassy COVID Information Page.
This change does not affect requirements for travel to the United States. All airline passengers to the United States ages two years and older, regardless of vaccination status or citizenship, must provide a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within one calendar day of travel. Alternatively, travelers to the United States may provide documentation from a licensed health care provider of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel. Check the CDC website for additional information and Frequently Asked Questions.
Actions to Take:
- Visit the Embassy COVID Information Page for more detailed information on testing and vaccine requirements for entry to Tanzania.
- Visit the Tanzania Ministry of Health website for information on COVID-19 in Tanzania.
- Consult the CDC website for general information on COVID-19 and specific information on COVID-19 in Tanzania.
- Visit the COVID-19 Traveler Information page on travel.state.gov.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.