Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Dar es Salaam (May 5, 2021)
Event: Change in Entry Requirements Due to COVID-19
The Government of Tanzania changed its entry requirements due to COVID-19 effective May 4, 2021.
- All travelers are required to present a negative COVID-19 test certificate upon arrival. The test must be a Real Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) test, with the sample collected within 72 hours before arrival in Tanzania. Travelers in transit more than 72 hours will be required to be tested by rapid test upon arrival in Tanzania. The rapid test cost is $25 per traveler.
- Travelers are required to complete an online Health Surveillance Form within 24 hours prior to arrival. Travelers will then receive a Unique Health Code (UHC), which they will present to health officials upon arrival.
- All travelers entering Tanzania will be subject to enhanced screening for COVID-19, including through a rapid test. The rapid test cost is $25 per traveler.
- As of May 4, 2021, all flights to and from India are banned in Tanzania with limited exceptions.
- All travelers arriving from India or having traveled through India in the last 14 days will be subjected to a rapid test at the Point of Entry followed by 14-days mandatory quarantine at their own cost.
- Travelers subject to mandatory quarantine shall choose a place from the list designated by the Tanzanian government, which is available at airports.
- Tanzanian residents returning from India will be allowed to quarantine in their homes under a strict surveillance system.
Please see the Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly, and Children “Travel Advisory No. 7 of 4th May, 2021” at https://www.moh.go.tz/en/announcements for additional details.
The Department of State’s travel advisory level for Tanzania is Level 4: Do Not Travel due to COVID-19. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention states travelers should avoid all travel to Tanzania. The most current information regarding the impact of COVID-19 may be found at our COVID-19 Information Page.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for general information on COVID-19 and specific information on COVID-19 in Tanzania.
- Visit the COVID-19 Traveler Information page on travel.state.gov.
- Visit the Embassy COVID-19 Information Page.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
U.S. Embassy Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
686 Old Bagamoyo Road, Msasani,
P.O. Box 9123
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
+255 22 229-4000
State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Department of State Tanzania Country Information
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.