Event: The Tanzanian government has announced thirty-two (32) confirmed cases of COVID-19. There have been three (3) confirmed deaths.
Please note, you can subscribe or unsubscribe from these alerts.
International commercial flight options currently exist in Tanzania. U.S. citizens who wish to return to the United States should make commercial arrangements as soon as possible unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. The U.S. government does not anticipate arranging repatriation flights in Tanzania at this time.
Ethiopian Airlines remains the only commercial carrier flying international routes in and out of Tanzania. As of March 31, Ethiopian Airlines operates three flights per week from Dar es Salaam: Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.
U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to book directly with Ethiopian Airlines immediately to make travel arrangements while flights are still available.
All travelers to Tanzania, whether foreigners or returning residents arriving from COVID-19 most affected countries, will be subjected to mandatory isolation for 14 days at their own cost at designated facilities identified by the Government of Tanzania. Standards within the facilities have been reported as being very poor. Travelers entering the country should be aware of possible health risks posed by inadequate protocols and facilities within the quarantine locations.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19. Effective March 18, the embassy suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizen Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19.
- Have a plan to depart from Tanzania that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
U.S. Embassy Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
686 Old Bagamoyo Road, Msasani,
P.O. Box 9123
Dar es Salaam, TANZANIA
+255 22 229-4000