** This alert was first released on March 26 and is being repeated to ensure all American citizens are aware of the situation **
Event: The Tanzanian Ministry of Public Health has confirmed 13 cases of COVID-19 in Tanzania.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19. We recognize this has been a challenging period for many of our fellow Americans, particularly those of you seeking to depart Tanzania.
The U.S. Embassy Dar es Salaam encourages all Americans to return to the United States now. As the COVID-19 outbreak continues to spread worldwide, available commercial flights out of Dar es Salaam are reduced. As of Sunday, March 29, 2020, the only available commercial flights out of Tanzania will be on Ethiopian Airlines.
The Department of State is currently not organizing an evacuation of American citizens from Tanzania. However, in the event that opportunity becomes available, we are asking you to let us know now if you are interested in being contacted.
Please send an email to UScitizenDar@state.gov with the subject line “Return Travel to the U.S.” Please include the following information for each U.S. citizen or U.S. legal permanent resident guardian accompanying minor children in your family or group:
- Full name as it appears on your passport
- Citizenship (only for Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S.)
- Date of birth
- Passport number
- Date of passport issuance and expiration
- Email address and contact phone number
- Current location
- Desired onward destination in the U.S.
Interested parties should verify that their passports and other documentation are current and valid for at least six months from today’s date. For emergency American Citizen Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19.