Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Dar es Salaam, Tanzania (March 19, 2020)
Event: The Tanzanian Ministry of Health has announced several confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Tanzania.
Travelers into and out of Tanzania should be prepared for unexpected travel restrictions and health screenings. There are flight cancellations and increasingly limited flight availability. If your travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline. More information on the Government of Tanzania’s measures can be found here: https://tanzaniaembassy-us.org/?page_id=76
On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of US personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.
In addition to travel delays, individuals suspected of having COVID-19 may face quarantine, and high medical costs.
Effective March 17, 2020 the U.S. Embassy Dar es Salaam suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website or phone using the numbers below.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Tanzania.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
686 Old Bagamoyo Road
Dar es Salaam
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Tanzania Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.