Exercise Increased Caution (April 19, 2022)
Exercise increased caution in Tanzania due to crime, terrorism, and targeting of LGBTI persons. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.
Reconsider Travel To:
- Mtwara Region in southern Tanzania due to the threat of terrorism.
Country Summary: Violent crime, such as assault, sexual assault, robberies, mugging, and carjacking, is common. Local police may lack the resources to respond effectively to serious crime.
Terrorist groups could attack in Tanzania with little or no warning, targeting embassies, police stations, mosques, and other places frequented by Westerners. Please see the additional information below regarding the increased threat of terrorism in Mtwara Region.
Members of the LGBTI community have been arrested, targeted, harassed, and/or charged with unrelated offenses. Individuals detained under suspicion of same-sex sexual conduct could be subject to forced anal examinations.
Read the country information page for additional information on travel to Tanzania.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has determined Tanzania has an unknown level of COVID-19. Visit the CDC page for the latest Travel Health Information related to your travel.
If you decide to travel to Tanzania:
- Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before planning any international travel, and read the Embassy COVID-19 page for country-specific COVID-19 information.
- Always carry a copy of your U.S. passport and visa and keep original documents in a secure location.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Do not leave your food or drink unattended.
- Stay alert in all locations, especially those frequented by Westerners.
- Avoid public displays of affection particularly between same-sex couples.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and
- Review the Country Security Reportfor Tanzania.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Mtwara Region in southern Tanzania – Level 3: Reconsider Travel
There have been reports of violence in Mtwara Region in southern Tanzania. Increased activity by extremists along the southern border has led to attacks against both government and civilian targets.
Last Update: Reissued with updates to health information.
U.S. Embassy Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
686 Old Bagamoyo Road, Msasani,
P.O. Box 9123
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
+255 22 229-4000