An official website of the United States government

Eligibility for a CRBA

According to U.S. Immigration and Naturalization law, a child born overseas to an American citizen parent, in most cases, has a claim to American citizenship. The eligibility of an American citizen to “transmit citizenship” (the legal term) is usually based on having spent a certain period of time physically present in the United States prior to the birth of the child. The Consular Section can discuss with you the specific requirements given your particular circumstances.

The birth of a child abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s) should be reported as soon as possible to the nearest American consular office for the purpose of establishing an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record is in the form of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America. This document, referred to as the Consular Report of Birth (CRBA), is considered a basic United States citizenship document. An original CRBA is furnished to the parent(s) at the time the registration is approved. A Consular Report of Birth can be prepared only at an American consular office overseas while the child is under the age of 18.

Prior to making your appointment, review the attached checklist (PDF 109KB) of required documents to see what documentation will be required (at a minimum) as part of the CRBA process.

For information on how to make and prepare for a CRBA appointment, please email drsacs@state.gov.

Parents are encouraged to apply for a U.S. passport for their newborn child at the same time that they apply for a CRBA.

For more detailed information on CRBAs and replacement copies of these documents, please see the Department of State’s webpage on Documentation of U.S. Citizens Born Abroad.

For questions relating to transmitting citizenship to a child, please email drsacs@state.gov.