Child and Family Matters

For adoption procedures please refer to our Adoption page.

Two-Parent Consent
Parental consent is required for U.S. passport applications for children under the age of sixteen. Further details can be found on our Minor’s Passport Renewal (Under Age 16) page.

Most, but not all, children born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent are eligible to be documented as U.S. citizens through the issuance of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and U.S. passport. The parents, however, have the burden of proof of establishing that the child is eligible for a CRBA and U.S. passport, and we encourage applicants to read and follow these instructions carefully.

Although the CRBAs and the application forms are the same throughout the world, different embassies and consulates may have different procedures to obtain a CRBA. Please consult our Births section for details.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding in Tanzania. While Consular Officers can not marry couples overseas, we can give you the information necessary for getting married under Tanzanian law. Please consult our Marriage section for details.