Eligibility for a CRBA

  1. Eligibility for a CRBA
  2. Transmitting Citizenship

According to U.S. Immigration and Naturalization law, a child born overseas to an American citizen parent, in most cases, has a claim to American citizenship. The eligibility of an American citizen to “transmit citizenship” (the legal term) is usually based on having spent a certain period of time physically present in the United States prior to the birth of the child. The Consular Section can discuss with you the specific requirements given your particular circumstances.

The birth of a child abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s) should be reported as soon as possible to the nearest American consular office for the purpose of establishing an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record is in the form of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America. This document, referred to as the Consular Report of Birth (CRBA), is considered a basic United States citizenship document. An original CRBA is furnished to the parent(s) at the time the registration is approved. A Consular Report of Birth can be prepared only at an American consular office overseas while the child is under the age of 18.

The application for a CRBA requires the following:

  • an official record of the child’s local birth (i.e., birth certificate),
  • evidence of the parent(s)’U.S. citizenship (e.g., current U.S. passport),
  • evidence of the parents’ marriage (if applicable),
  • affidavits of parent(s)’ residence and physical presence in the United States,
  • identity documentation for a non-citizen parent (if applicable),
  • completed Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad (DS-2029) (PDF 55.7 KB),
  • completed Application for Social Security Card (PDF 164 KB) and
  • payment of the application fee
  • for complete details, click here.

Both parents must appear at the Embassy, together with their child and the above documents. Please do not sign any of the documents until requested to do so by the Consular Officer. 

 In certain cases it may be necessary to submit additional documents, including affidavits of paternity and support, divorce decrees from prior marriages, evidence of prior U.S. residence and/or physical presence, or DNA tests. If you have questions regarding your ability to transmit citizenship, please review the legal requirements for transmission of citizenship.

Parents are encouraged to apply for a U.S. passport for their newborn child at the same time that they apply for a CRBA.

For more detailed information on CRBAs and replacement copies of these documents, please see the Department of State’s webpage on Documentation of U.S. Citizens Born Abroad.