Emergency Financial Assistance

U.S. consuls can assist Americans abroad who are temporarily destitute due to unforeseen circumstances. Americans who find themselves in these circumstances should contact the Embassy at +255 22 229-4000 or the State Department’s Office of Overseas Citizens Services at +1 202-501-4444.

Consular officers can help destitute Americans contact family, bank, or employers to arrange for transfer of funds. In certain circumstances, these funds can be wired through the Department of State. For information on how a consular officer can help under these circumstances, please visit the State Department website.

International Money Transfers

Fund transfers from the U.S. are straightforward. Most people can arrange family or friends to get them money through commercial channels, such as Western Union.