If your passport has been lost or stolen, please take the following steps:
- Complete Form DS-11. Enter your information online and print Form DS-11 on one-sided pages. Failure to provide information requested on this form, including your social security number, may result in significant processing delays and/or the denial of your application.
- Complete Form DS-64 Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport. Complete and print the form.
Please note that the Embassy will only accept applications that have been filled out online and printed on one-sided pages.
- Applicants should present documents that prove U.S. citizenship (birth certificate, naturalization certificate, old passports) and identity, such as driver’s license.
- Bring two (2) identical U.S.-sized passport photos (2×2 inches, white background).
- Obtain a police report. The adult must report the loss or theft of his/her passport to a police station close to where the loss took place. The police report is required when replacing a lost or stolen passport at the U.S. Embassy.
- Travel Itinerary – If the passport bearer is traveling out of the country soon and needs an emergency passport, please bring a copy of the travel itinerary.
- The fee for an emergency passport is $145 payable in dollars or the equivalent in Tanzanian Shillings, USD or international credit card (VISA, MasterCard, Dinners, American Express, and Discover).
- The application will be submitted in person. Complete a request for an appointment at the following: Department of State Website.
- An emergency passport can generally be produced in one business day. For a full-validity passport, allow approximately 10 working days for processing. Passports must be collected at the American Citizen Services (ACS) section by the applicant or an authorized representative. An appointment is not necessary to pick up the passport; however, collection must be during office hours. An appointment is not necessary to pick up your passport.
A person may be designated as an authorized representative by providing a written statement with the following information: applicant name, statement of authorization, name of authorized person, and a signature of the applicant. The authorized representative should bring this statement and identification to collect the applicant’s passport.