If you are applying for a passport for your minor child (under sixteen years of age), please take the following steps:
- Complete Form DS-11. Enter your information online and print Form DS-11 on one-sided pages. Failure to provide information requested on this form, including your social security number, may result in significant processing delays and/or the denial of your application.
Please note that the Embassy will only accept applications that have been filled out online and printed on one-sided pages.
- Do not sign Form DS-11 on page 1. The form must be signed in front of a Consular Officer.
- Bring original birth certificate of the child/children.
- Bring two (2) identical U.S.-sized passport photos (2×2 inches, white background).
- Bring age progression photos to demonstrate how the child’s physical appearance has changed since their last passport application.
- Both parents must be present with the child and must carry their passports or any other form of identification to the appointment.
- If one or both parents are out of the country, each should provide an originally signed statement of consent (DS-3053) (PDF 52 KB) and certified copy of the I.D. presented when signing the statement. If parent is not a U.S. Citizen, s/he should present a certified copy of driver’s license/passport.
- The fee is $115 payable in dollars or the equivalent in Tanzanian Shillings, USD or international credit card (VISA, MasterCard, Dinners, American Express, and Discover).
- If one parent is not available and the DS-3053 is not provided, we need documentation such as a court order, death certificate or any other proof showing sole custody of the child/children.
- A notarized power of attorney authorizing the guardian to execute DS-11 on behalf of the parents.
- Travel itinerary: If the passport bearer is traveling out of the country soon and requires an emergency passport, please bring a copy of the travel itinerary.
- The application will be submitted in person. Complete a request for an appointment at the following: Department of State Website.
- Allow approximately 10 working days for processing. Passports must be collected at the American Citizen Services (ACS) section by either parent listed on the application or an authorized representative. An appointment is not necessary to pick up the passport. Either parent should come during office hours with their identification and the expiring passport of the applicant, if applicable.
A person may be designated as an authorized representative by providing a written statement with the following information: applicant name, authorizing parent’s name, passport number of applicant, statement of authorization, name of authorized person, and a signature of the authorizing parent. The authorized representative should bring this statement, identification, and the expiring passport of the applicant, if applicable, to collect the applicant’s passport.