An official website of the United States government

U.S. Visa Services
Visit the United States

Visas Services and Appointments

Current services include American Citizen Services (ACS) appointments, immigrant visa (IV) appointments, nonimmigrant (NIV) appointments, and DNA testing services.

What is a Visa?

A citizen of a foreign country who seeks to enter the United States generally must first obtain a U.S. visa, which is placed in the traveler’s passport.

Certain international travelers may be eligible to travel to the United States without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program, which is administered by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

The Visa section of this website is about U.S. visas for foreign citizens and nationals to travel to the United States.

Visit Travel.State.gov for additional information.

Note: U.S. citizens do not need a U.S. visa for travel to the United States. When planning travel abroad a U.S. citizen may need a visa issued by the embassy or consulate of the country they wish to visit.

What Type of Visa Do You Need?

For short-term visits to the United States (for tourism, business, education, and more), you can go directly to the online application (form DS-160). For immigrant visas,  which are issued to foreign nationals who intend to live and work permanently in the United States, you can visit the U.S. citizenship and Immigration Services site for the relevant forms.  If you are unsure what type of visa you need, please use the Visa Wizard below.

Lost or Stolen Green Cards

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) issues Permanent Resident Cards, also called LPR Cards or Green Cards, in the United States. The U.S. Embassy does not issue replacement LPR cards.

If you are overseas and your Permanent Resident Card was lost or stolen, and you have been out of the United States for less than 365 consecutive days, you may request a boarding foil to allow you to return to the United States.

In order to apply for a boarding foil, you require an appointment. Email drsiv@state.gov to schedule an appointment.

On the day of your interview, please bring the following to the Embassy:

  1. Your valid passport
  2. Completed Form I-131A, Application for Travel Document
  3. Proof of fee payment. You must pay the $575 I-131A fee online at: https://www.uscis.gov/i-131a. Please note that this fee is nonrefundable; USCIS does not issue refunds, regardless of the decision on the application.
  4. Photocopy of your LPR card (if available) or proof of your legal permanent resident status such as a copy of notices received from USCIS, stamps in the passport, etc.
  5. Police Report documenting that your green card was lost or stolen

If your application for boarding foil is approved, you will have to leave your passport and a current photo (issued within the last six months, 2”x2”, white background) at the U.S. Embassy Dar es Salaam. Your passport will be ready for pick-up within 48 hours. LPRs applying for this document must be ready to travel as the boarding foil expires 30 days from issuance.

Our Locations
The map below shows where we provide consular services.
Colorado Sand Dunes